Re: Emacs startup suddenly slower

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: Emacs startup suddenly slower
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 08:26:34 +0530

On Wed, Sep 13 2017,John Mastro wrote:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I was tinkering with my .Emacs file and I don't know what happened
>>  but my Emacs startup has shot up to 83 secs compared to 4 to 7 secs
>>  earlier as checked by M-x Emacs-init-time.  This was done multiple
>>  times and time ranged from 45 to 85 secs
>
> Not sure if this is relevant to your case, but at my job I use a Windows
> machine with an antivirus product from Trend Micro. The antivirus
> program increases Emacs's startup time with my configuration from 5
> seconds to 60+ seconds - a huge increase. When profiled, almost all the
> time is spent in `require' and `load'.

[snipped 9 lines]

This.  I'm on Windows 10 and I just rebooted the machine and it went
through a 45m patch update and now Emacs behaves correctly.  I've got
the startup back to 4 to 7 secs.  Not tracked it down to antivirus
issue though.

Apparently, patches are downloaded and applied without any user
notifications; so the sudden slowness is disconcerting when you know
the changes you made were trivial and should not affect in any way.

tldr: the infamous reboot and it goes away worked.

Apologies for the noise.

sivaram