RE: Bookmarks: separate set of bookmarks in directory

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bookmarks: separate set of bookmarks in directory
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 00:02:14 +0000 (UTC)

I can't address all of your questions, in particular for lack of time; sorry.

You can have any number of bookmark files. You can load them separately,
switching from one to another, or you can load any number of them together.

You can create a bookmark to a bookmark file, i.e., a bookmark that, when
invoked ("jumped to") loads a particular bookmark file, either adding its
bookmarks to the current bookmark list or replacing the current list with its
bookmarks.

You can create a bookmark to a sequence of any number of arbitrary actions, any
of which could be to load a particular bookmark file (either adding bookmarks
or replacing the current ones).

There are lots of possibilities. It's up to you to figure out the best way to
use the available features for your particular use context.

Specifying your use context in detail to others, so that they might be able to
help you craft a solution that best meets them, is too much work for you and
the others. It's better, I think, for you to get acquainted a bit with what the
tools offer (reading and experimenting), and then to figure out what you might
do with them to help you get your job done. If you run into a particular
problem along the way, ask for specific help.

Thx - Drew

Drew:

Thank you for your response.  I have re-read that section now, and I can see
some ways that it could help me.  My chief concerns are:

  for transparency: i don't want to have to think about the mechanics of
bookmarking or calling or saving them.
The dropbox bookmarks could, if possible, be stored in one bookmark file.  Any
time I access the folder, using emacs, I would want to see the list in a
listing such as "list-bookmarks" provides.
Each machine has a unique set of groupings and files, which would ideally be
stored in a single unique bookmarks file.
Saving bookmarks would (in my perfect world) put them into either the local or
the dropbox bookmarks file, perhaps through a regular expression recognition
process.  Perhaps just recognition of "~/Dropbox" or whatever other top level
directory name would make this possible?
If the previous is even possible, it would be sufficient (I think) for one
bookmark file to load another.  Perhaps the idea of setting a bookmark file
bookmark would make this easy enough.  Still I wonder about the saving.

I am sorry if this is overly convoluted or if I have missed something obvious.

(I might just go ahead and use the directory-wise bookmark files ploy.  Would
there then be an easy way for these to be called by the directory bookmark file
in the toplevel subdir?  (And hence be visible at a glance.).

Thank you again,

Alan