GNUS with unauthenticated smtp server

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: GNUS with unauthenticated smtp server
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 09:43:58 -0600

I use gnus, specifying outgoing stuff with my .authinfo.gpg file. I'm trying to match these settings (intended for Thunderbird):

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): gateway.byu.edu

>    Click More Settings.
>    Select the Outgoing Server tab.
> Do not check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires > authentication.
>    Select the Advanced tab.
>    Outgoing server/port number: 25
> Check This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) > Incoming Server

When I use the VPN to make my outgoing eligible, I receive the following error:

gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) fatal error: An unexpected TLS packet was received. gnutls.el: (err=[-15] An unexpected TLS packet was received.) boot: (:priority NORMAL :hostname gateway.byu.edu :loglevel 1 :min-prime-bits 256 :trustfiles (/etc/ssl/ca-bundle.pem) :crlfiles nil :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :callbacks nil)
gnutls-negotiate: GnuTLS error: #<process smtpmail>, -15

first off, I can't figure out what error -15 is; second, I'm not entirely sure how to simulate "Do not check My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication." (ie how to go unauthenticated through my authinfo file). Any help would be much-appreciated!

- Tory