Re: Enabling vc commands when visiting a remote file via Tramp?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Enabling vc commands when visiting a remote file via Tramp?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 15:55:13 +0200

Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Skip,

> Still,  version control detection and support appears to be
> nonexistent by default. I see that vc-ignore-dir-regexp is set to some
> inscrutable regular expression. That might, or might not, be the key.
> Is there a known setting of that variable which will unlock the magic
> of vc through Tramp?

I'll do vc operations on remote hosts on a daily basis, no problem. I've
just rechecked my init files, there's nothing for a special vc
configuration.

vc-ignore-dir-regexp with its default settings does not seem to disturb
Tramp.

How do you access your remote machine? Which Tramp method do you use?
Which vc backend do you use? Personally, I access the remote machine via
Tramp's ssh/scp methods, using git. I believe, bzr and cvs ought to work
also, but that's years ago.

What does (vc-registered "<remote file path>") tells you? Pls run it
when you have set tramp-verbose to 6 in advance; I would like to see
which Tramp commands were sent.

Is it possible for you to use vc operations on local files, prefixed
with "/ssh::"?

> Thx,
>
> Skip Montanaro

Best regards, Michael.