Command line open does not use find-file anymore?

From: Everton J. Carpes
Subject: Command line open does not use find-file anymore?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 06:00:16 -0300

Until emacs 24 I was able to customize file opening using an "advice"
around find-file. It was working for opening from inside emacs and also
from command line.

I use this to deal with common error reports, which are presented in
"filename:lineno" syntax. The suggestion to do this can be found here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3139970/open-a-file-at-line-with-filenameline-syntax

After updating to version 25 (actually 25.2.2) and follow the instructions
to update advice which I found here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Porting-old-advice.html

The around is working when find-file is called from inside emacs, but not
when emacs is called from command line.

  1. Emacs 25 doesn't use find-file anymore when opening from command line?
  2. Which function is called now?
  3. Is this the best way to deal with this kind of customization?
  4. How can I learn more about what emacs does when opened?

I spect this is the proper mailing list to post this question. If not,
really sorry and I appreciate instructions about where and how to post this.

Thanks for your time.

P.S.: Just for reference, the code I'm using (the same posted on SO), after
update it into the new advice syntax is:

(defun find-file--line-number (orig-fun filename &optional wildcards)
  "Turn files like file.cpp:14 into file.cpp and going to the 14-th line."
  (save-match-data
    (let* ((matched (string-match "^\\(.*\\):\\([0-9]+\\):?$" filename))
           (line-number (and matched
                             (match-string 2 filename)
                             (string-to-number (match-string 2 filename))))
           (filename (if matched (match-string 1 filename) filename)))
      (apply orig-fun (list filename wildcards))
      (when line-number
        ;; goto-line is for interactive use
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (forward-line (1- line-number))))))
(advice-add 'find-file :around #'find-file--line-number)

--
Everton J. Carpes