Slime/Melpa: Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, ../lib/ma

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Slime/Melpa: Cannot open load file: no such file or directory, ../lib/macrostep
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 04:54:11 +0200

I just installed Slime from Melpa but when
I now byte compile Emacs it says,

    Error: Cannot open load file: no such file
    or directory, ../lib/macrostep.

The thing that might complicate matters is
I had SLIME from my package manager but reading
the manual where it said

    The easiest way to install and keep SLIME
    up-to-date is using Emacs's built-in
    package manager. SLIME is available from
    the MELPA repository. [1]

I did 'sudo aptitude purge slime' to get
a fresh start, then I installed via Melpa.

Still, what happened (?), shouldn't
happen, right?

[1] https://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/Installation.html

--