Re: Modify text appearance (put spaces after commas just for display)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Modify text appearance (put spaces after commas just for display)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:20:43 +0200

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>> Newline are displayed as is. Again, the
>> example would rather be a displayed newline
>> where there isn't one [...]
>
> A common situation, see visual-line-mode.
> And for a good reason.

Well, I have 72 columns in the ttys where - in
one of the instances - I have Emacs. Actually,
I can only type 69 chars before the annoying
dollar sign appears. In X and xterm, tho
I don't write anything there really, I have
even less - 71 columns. You can find this out
with

    $ echo $COLUMNS

So if I can do it, sure most guys could as they
most likely have much more, and no one (?)
has less.

The only scenario where I see your point is if
one was working on a joint project, and some
bozos were writing insanely long lines. If that
ever happened, the only thing to do would be to
assign the application a new background color,
and clone it.

>> Tabs shouldn't be used [...]
>
> Seriously?

What do you think this is for?

    (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

    (untabify (point-min) (point-max))

Just so a bunch of bozos can put the tabs
back in?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573