Re: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 15:42:46 +0100

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org>
>>> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 16:41:03 +0100
>>>
>>> If I force raw-text it seems to look fine. Any idea what's going
>>> on?
>>>
>>> There is a bug raised with mu4e (the mail client using
>>> message-mode):
>>>
>>>   https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/1081
>>
>> First, this kind of problems should be reported to the Emacs bug
>> tracker, not here.

At the moment I'm not sure it's an Emacs bug. Behaviour has changed but
I was trying to understand why it might have first.

>> And second, since this involves mu4e, any of its discussions should
>> IMO include the mu4e developers, because we have no similar issues
>> reported by people who use the bundled MUA packages (nor MH-E,
>> AFAIK).
>> So it sounds like mu4e is at least somehow involved in this.

Hmm OK. I didn't think it could be as the problem only occurs when
message-send is called. I'll have a dig through and see if there are any
hooks/variables involved in the call chain that might break it.

> i can't speak for other mu4e users, but the coding issue i've been
> intermittently experiencing as a mu4e user is exactly as described in
> this bug report regarding RMAIL:
>
>     https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28266#17
>
> More specifically, it's this:
>
>     "The encoding issue I mentioned seems to only apply to the
> saving
>     of the mail buffer into the file specified in the FCC   header."

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

--
Alex Bennée