Re: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 20:47:02 +0300

> From: Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 00:12:22 +1000
>
> i can't speak for other mu4e users, but the coding issue i've been
> intermittently experiencing as a mu4e user is exactly as described
> in
> this bug report regarding RMAIL:
>
>      https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28266#17
>
> More specifically, it's this:
>
>      "The encoding issue I mentioned seems to only apply to the
>      saving
>      of the mail buffer into the file specified in the FCC
>      header."

I'm confused: are you using mu4e or are you using Rmail?  These are
two different packages, and AFAIK they don't share any code.

Also, bug#28266 explicitly says that the issue happens when
sendmail.el is used as the MUA, which means it's not about message.el,
a completely different MUA.

So I think these are probably two different issues, although the
result is similar.  There are many ways to get raw bytes in Emacs when
you want non-ASCII characters, and not all of them are due to the same
bug...