Re: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: Changes to message-mode and encoding in Emacs26
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 09:36:07 +0100

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I'm confused: are you using mu4e or are you using Rmail?  These are
>> two different packages, and AFAIK they don't share any code.
>>
>> Also, bug#28266 explicitly says that the issue happens when
>> sendmail.el is used as the MUA, which means it's not about
>> message.el,
>> a completely different MUA.
>>
>> So I think these are probably two different issues, although the
>> result is similar.  There are many ways to get raw bytes in Emacs
>> when
>> you want non-ASCII characters, and not all of them are due to the
>> same
>> bug...
>
> i use mu4e, not Rmail; i was addressing your earlier remark:
>
>> we have no similar issues reported by people who use the bundled MUA
>> packages
>
> i thought that the fact that both an mu4e user (me) and an Rmail user
> (Charles) are experiencing the same issue ("The encoding issue I
> mentioned seems to only apply to the saving of the mail buffer into
> the
> file specified in the FCC header") /even though/ mu4e uses message.el
> and Rmail doesn't, might indicate a common cause lying deeper in
> Emacs'
> internals.
>
> But if you think that this is just a coincidence of results, and that
> there are actually two different issues in play, i'll certainly defer
> your knowledge and experience. Hopefully next time the issue appears
> for
> me, i'll be able to narrow it down to a minimal working example.

I haven't narrowed it down yet but is certainly during message-do-fcc.
It's hard to tell because the work takes place in a temporary buffer but
I'm currently looking at the code that does:

    (when file
      (with-temp-buffer
        (insert-buffer-substring buf)
        (message-clone-locals buf)
        (message-encode-message-body)

And wondering how that might of changed.

Any idea how to examine the current with-temp-buffer while stepping
through in edebug?

--
Alex Bennée