Re: Using :align-to with non-spaces

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using :align-to with non-spaces
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 20:47:52 -0400

>> Still, I think that if it's not considered as part of the "text area",
>> then there should be some notion of `text area modulo
>> prefix/line-numbers' that :align-to/:width (and other parts of display,
>> perhaps) could use.

FWIW, a notion of text-area modulo prefix would imply a non-rectangular
text-area, which I think would be a much bigger problem than what we
have now.

In this respect, the line-numbers are different (they could be
treated as a kind of margin).

> level.  I'm saying that I'd be more happy if we could push _all_ of
> the layout job in those cases into the display engine.  If possible,
> of course.  E.g., if you want to be able to center the text of a
> header-line in the window, why not ask the display engine do that for
> you?

Indeed.  Especially to handle the case where the same chunk of text is
displayed in several different frames (with different fonts, or with
a mix of GUI and tty frames).

One thing I'd like to see is a way to perform "right-alignment"
for things like tabulated-list-mode.

        Stefan