Re: Emacs pretest: highlight line number in display-line-numbers-mode?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest: highlight line number in display-line-numbers-mode?
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 17:49:25 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 15:49:07 +0200
>
> nlinum-mode has an option to highlight the current line, disabled by
> default

So does display-line-numbers-mode, by way of the
line-number-current-line face.  Or am I missing something?

> I'd vote for having the current line face have a background colour
> set.

By default?  Why do you need it by default?  What's wrong with lettng
users customize that as they see fit?

> Calculating line numbers is going to slow things down anyway

It doesn't.  I measured it.  And there's no reason why it should slow
down, because the line numbers are computed on the fly, as the lines
are laid out for display.