RE: Emacs pretest: highlight line number in display-line-numbers-mode?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs pretest: highlight line number in display-line-numbers-mode?
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 08:18:02 -0700 (PDT)

> > I'd vote for having the current line face have a background colour
> > set.
>
> By default?  Why do you need it by default?  What's wrong
> with lettng users customize that as they see fit?

We've already answered that: It is not obvious that they
have that possibility.  They can't see that there are
two different faces involved, with the default behavior.

If you make a difference invisible, you are not exactly
helping users to be aware of it.

The second reason is that showing which line is current
is helpful.  Anyone who is annoyed by seeing that can
opt out, customizing the current-line face to look the
same as the other-line face.