Re: prompt to create non existent directory.

From: tomas
Subject: Re: prompt to create non existent directory.
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 09:01:35 +0200

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 12:52:18AM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> t wrote:
>
> > It has learnt to do that (I can't say since
> > when, but "my" 27.0.50 does exactly what you
> > wish: very convenient).
>
> Indeed, seems like a good idea!
>
> On another note, you guys sure are advanced -
> I'm only at 24! And it is what is in the repos
> as well.

Self-compiling. Impotant (to me) things are off source, the
rest is distro-managed (for which I am infinitely thankful,
see below)

> Perhaps Emacs should have its own upgrader just
> like the Fallout Pip-Boy for Python and the
> tlmgr for TeX. I suppose the [M]ELPAs are sort
> of that.

I for one *hate* those softwares which go rampant on their
own upgrade schedule and very much prefer the distro doing
this. I trust[1] e.g. Debian much more than some random app
(esp. a web browser). The alternative is Windows, or the
bunch o'apps on your smartphone (I haven't one). Thanks, but
no thanks.

Just the applications I have a special relationship with
get that special treatment, and I like to decide myself
which those are (those apps who seem to "think" they're
special somehow seem to be a reflection of their primadonna
developers. Nasty, I know).

> Does a lot of things happen between versions?
> I have a printed manual from version 18, and it
> comes with lots of propaganda for the GNU cause
> as well.

Because it's a good cause ;-)

But yes, Emacs doesn't make a lot of noise, and has a knack
for relatively painless upgrades, but progresses at a good
pace nevertheless.

Cheers

[1] Trust is a very subjective thing. It kind of reduces to
   "X (in this case the distro) does what I deem to be The
   Right Thing most of the time".

- -- tomás