Re: prompt to create non existent directory.

From: tomas
Subject: Re: prompt to create non existent directory.
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 11:57:21 +0100

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 10:44:56AM +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> t wrote:
>
> > I for one *hate* those softwares which go
> > rampant on their own upgrade schedule and
> > very much prefer the distro doing this.
> > I trust[1] e.g. Debian much more than some
> > random app (esp. a web browser).
> > The alternative is Windows, or the bunch
> > o'apps on your smartphone (I haven't one).
> > Thanks, but no thanks.
>
> It is not like that. They don't do anything
> unless spoken to.

Some. Some don't -- unless you first dive into
config and say "don't".

[...]

> Actually, I wouldn't mind
>
>     M-x upgrade-emacs
>
> and be prompted what version!

  tomas@trotzki:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall | wc -l
  724

I don't want "M-x upgrade-foo" on all of those (and this
is a pretty fresh box -- two days since install, with
no desktop environment. It'll grow over the next couple
of weeks).

Of those 724 apps, most of them are in the "let Debian do
what it does best" regime, and I want them to stay this
way.

I only keep track of ~10 applications I know personally.
I don't *want* the browser to be in this class, but it
keeps pushing itself into the foreground like a disgusting
spoiled kid. Just as an example.

An application requiring special attention should be the
user's choice. So an "auto-update" thingmajig should be
a possibility, and working well with the distro should
be the baseline. Applications which don't behave this
way only get into my box when I really have to. And I
end up hating them.

(Emacs, btw. is a stellar example. Don't care about latest
and greatest? Fine. Distro does a perfect job. Do care?
Also fine, go ahead.)

Cheers
- -- tomás