list-packages and system-wide proxy

From: Carlos Konstanski
Subject: list-packages and system-wide proxy
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 09:44:22 -0700

I have http_proxy and https_proxy set system-wide. Most things in emacs
honor these settings, for example w3m. But list-packages fails.

My proxy settings take the form:

http_proxy="http://username:password@squid_ip:3128";
https_proxy="http://username:password@squid_ip:3128";

After invoking list-packages I always get prompted for the proxy
username and password. If I enter them it has no positive effect; I
merely get prompted again and again.

I looked through the variables in the package group but saw nothing that
related to proxies.

Is this a known issue? Does it have a workaround other than removing the
proxy config and rebooting so as to remove the burden of dealing with
the proxy?

Sincerely,

Carlos Konstanski