Re: killing the result of isearch

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: killing the result of isearch
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 16:49:00 +0900

> On Nov 7, 2017, at 16:07, Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> I can sort of imagine that such a function might be useful, but in several
> decades of using Emacs, both writing code and prose, I've honestly never
> missed it.  What is your use case?

Acting on the matching string. Yank, kill, overwrite. Things that you can do in
other editors where the result of a search is a selection.

> The closest I come is search and replace, so you could just replace with an
> empty string.

isearch
isearch-query-replace
C-w

> However, searching and then doing 'C-backspace' deletes the word found on my
> system.

Thank you, I guess that's what I was looking for.

It's confusing to have "delete" act where point is *not* (ie in the mini
buffer).

Jean-Christophe Helary
@brandelune http://mac4translators.blogspot.com