Re: killing the result of isearch

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: killing the result of isearch
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 11:49:29 +0100

Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Nov 7, 2017, at 16:07, Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>
>> However, searching and then doing 'C-backspace' deletes the word found
>
> But it does not delete any arbitrary string matching the search. It
> just happens to look like it works because the point is at the end of
> the matching string and what you searched was a word.
>
> If I search for
> ="2"
> C-backspace will only delete the last 2 characters.
>
> So I'm back to the beginning.

So doesn't searching-and-replace with an empty replacement work?

In any case, as Drew pointed out, I think your expectation of how Emacs
regions behaves is not justified.  If you start marking part of a word
with C-<space>, you also can't just overwrite it.

As to Emacs behaving differently to other editors, I think it is the
other way round ;-)

Cheers,

Loris

--