RE: killing the result of isearch

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: killing the result of isearch
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 08:24:49 -0800 (PST)

> Who wants a Lisp virtual machine nowadays.

I do.  What better plaything is there?

> I am actually talking about expectations from using emacs where regions
> are highlighted, like what isearch seems like doing. What I am seeing is
> what looks like a region (and except for the active match, all the others
> are highlighted exactly as a region would be), but it doesn't act like a
> region. So there is a UI promise that's broken.

That's not what I see in vanilla Emacs: `emacs -Q'.

I had to check, because I don't generally use `emacs -Q'.
I was half expecting you might be right, in which case I
would have suggested that you use `M-x report-emacs-bug' to
request that different faces be used for Isearch and for
the region.  But I see that that is already the case, as it
should be

You must be using some customization (perhaps from a
library you use), which gives face `lazy-highlight' and
face `region' the same appearance.  Their appearance is
quite different in virginal Emacs.