Re: Emacs interface to Recoll other than Helm?

From: Angel de Vicente
Subject: Re: Emacs interface to Recoll other than Helm?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 16:17:58 +0000

Hi,

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> wrote:
>
>> but right now I'm using Ivy
>> (http://oremacs.com/swiper/) and if possible I would like to avoid
>> installing Helm just for the integration with Recoll (plus, I'm not sure
>> if it will clash somehow with the installed Ivy?).
>>

> You will find Ivy-backend based plugins in the counsel library. About your
> question specific to Ivy+Recoll, it's already out there by the Ivy author
> himself: https://oremacs.com/2015/07/27/counsel-recoll/

Funny, I had seen that webpage already and I tried to use the function
in there, but it was giving an error (Error 127, whatever that is), but
then I searched in the counsel.el file in my current version, and the
function counsel-recoll is already defined there! Good, so with a fresh
Emacs (I was overriding the counsel-recoll function) it works, but is
not very convenient for my needs. counsel-recoll will give a dynamic
list of files that match your search, and then you have to open the file
and perform a search (with swiper, for example) to see if that was the
stuff you were looking for (see the attached file counsel-recoll.png).

But for this sort of thing, I think that it is nicer to have a buffer
with the files where matches are found and with some context given. This
is, for example, the type of output I get when doing a multi-occur find
with Projectile (see attached file counsel-recoll-mo.png), and if
possible I would like to try and get something like that, which I think
it will more useful.

Thanks,

Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/