Re: clhs on other languages

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: clhs on other languages
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 00:43:25 +0000

f.nikolakopoulos@gmail.com writes:

> is any analogous inside emacs like clhs help on slime lisp environment in
> other
> languages like c/c++, python or fortran for command reference and syntax

There is nothing directly comparable.  However, are you aware of "C-h S"
(Info-lookup-symbol)?

For example, open a file in C mode.  Go to a function and press "C-h
S".  It will find the documentation for that function.  For this to work
you have to have the Info documentation for GNU Libc installed.

It works for other languages too if you install an Info file that
contains documentation for the language or library in question.  On my
system it works for C, Bash and Emac Lisp (I haven't any other languages
installed).  I expect installing the GNU Fortran Info docs will make it
work in Fortran mode.  I think the same thing will be true of Python
too.

Some languages don't support Info or provide compatible docs.  However,
if you look on the internet there are sometimes unofficial info docs
that will make this feature work.

BR,
Robert Thorpe