Re: return first element in list with certain property

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: return first element in list with certain property
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 03:54:15 +0000

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

> Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
>> With respect to this particular issue, seq and
>> `seq-find' is superior to CL and `cl-find-if'.
>> After that was revealed, the only thing that
>> made me hesitant about using it was the install
>> hassle. But now that you say it is included in
>> vanilla Emacs from version 25, which is right
>> around the corner, perhaps I should use
>> it still?
>
> Emacs 25 was released a bit over a year ago, in September 2016 :)
>
> I think it's perfectly reasonable to use seq.el in your package.

I don't agree, 24 isn't that old.  Perhaps you use Microsoft Windows?

Those of us using *nix derivatives are in a different situation.
Upgrading is risky.  If you use GNU/Linux (or whatever you call it) it
makes sense to stick with one distribution (I use Xubuntu).  It makes
sense not to upgrade too regularly.  Compiling Emacs is a non-starter
because there are too many build options and nobody understands them
except distro builders and the Emacs maintainers.  Unfortunately, that
means not upgrading Emacs.

I use Emacs 25.2 at work on MS Windows.  At home I use Emacs 24.5.  I will
continue to use it until I have to upgrade Ubuntu.

I consider this worthwhile because owning and updating a MS Windows
machine would be much more troublesome and expensive.  That applies
whatever you think about software licensing.  However, for Emacs it
means using older versions.

BR,
Robert Thorpe