Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (mult

From: tomas
Subject: Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (multiple) pictures to be included
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 09:53:18 +0100

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 09:36:10AM +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> tomàs wrote:
>
> > Your request is still too unspecific.
>
> OK, so do you have any suggestions as to how
> I can make my request - an example what one can
> do with this technology - specific enough?

Reflect on our interaction:

  Q "What is this good for?"
  A "You can do this, and that"
  Q "Yes, but what can I do with it?"
  A "OK, look at this manual and that blog post"
  Q "Yes, but what can I actually *do* with it?"

If you feel you aren't missing anything, perhaps Org
isn't for you?

> > Note that the HTML page itself is generated
> > from an org-mode source (go to the very
> > bottom and notice the link "org-mode
> > source").
>
> OK, well, HTML is so simple I don't see any
> reason to generate that, the exception being if
> you already have the material in some other
> format

Comparing the HTML of that page with its Org source
I know which alternative I *don't want* to edit.
Plus the fact that Org executes the code snippets
and inserts their results (text and graphics) for
me -- in the Emacs buffer, and in the HTML output
(and in the LaTeX output, the PDF output and the
LibreOffice output too).

Perhaps there's no use for you in it. There are
people doing their invoices happily in Postscript.
I do prefer LaTeX (and am actually converting to
Org at the moment -- a higher level of abstraction,
if you wish [1]).

Cheers

[1] To be more precise: (La)TeX does have \newcommand,
   thus the basic abstraction mechanism: thus you can
   choose your level of abstraction there. What Org
   offers, beyond a nice interface, is a smoother
   "abstraction protocol".

- -- t