Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (mult

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: want a file format easily edited and read by emacs that allows (multiple) pictures to be included
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 21:25:27 -0800 (PST)

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 8:03:42 AM UTC+5:30, dan wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Rusi wrote:
> > My post:
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-09/msg00732.html
>
> Very, very good, imho.
>
> Especially the fact that it's in org itself, so a person can download
> it and work through it, in org.

Slightly more expanded version (way more to go!)
------------ cut here into a file And GO!------------------
#+TITLE: Introduction to Org Mode
* Introduction
This file is an org mode formatted file talking about org mode.
- Physicists call this a hologram
- Astrologers call this palmistry
- [[https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43650/auguries-of-innocence][Poets]]
describes it thusly
#+BEGIN_VERSE
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
   And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
   And Eternity in an hour

William Blake
#+END_VERSE
- We computer folk call it recursion

** Note:
It would make no sense
- without emacs running… and
- the reader at least modestly familiar with it

BTW…
** History
It got written in the first place because someone unfamiliar with emacs was
annoyed how difficult he found org mode.

Yes, org mode is a highly non-trivial piece of software; not knowing emacs
makes it considerably harder!!

There exist other tutorials for those needing to start with emacs
* Preliminary
** Outline navigation
*** TODO
Fill out this section along the lines of emacs tutorial to show TAB and S-TAB
* Org Philosophy
What is org??
** Outline Mode
Both conceptually and historically org is just outline mode with better
key-bindings.  IOW its v v text-y
** … Takes off!
Once the neatness and elegance of pure text with folding and structure-
editing caught on all sorts of stuff started getting added — tags, tables,
TODOs, timestamps, exports, literate programming etc etc — all in pure text.

Brings me to a very central idea of computer science…
** Universality
(aka universal Turing machine etc)

Text is text whether Newton uses it to write Principia, Tolstoy to write
War&Peace; lovers write love-letters and judges write death-warrants — all text.
But unlike the universality of TMs and von Neumann machines the universality of
org is *data-universality*… which makes org a close analogue and even isomorph
of…
** Lisp!
Lisp as a programming language is of minor significance (org is written in
ELisp)
Lisp as a universal data format (like XML) is a much bigger idea
So in the same way that an S-exp is a structure that
- can be a simple shopping list
- a more complex data list (think csv file)
- the most complex of all ­— a Lisp program

all hinging on the super-simple idea of uniform recursive nesting,
in a like manner org nests pure text (like lisp atoms) into recursive
heading structure
* Brainstorming
Once
- TAB, S-TAB for visibility cycling
- Structure navigation (~M-←~, ~M-→~, ~M-↑~, ~M-↓~)
are grokked, try them out right here!
* Exporting and Publishing
** html export
** Odt export