Re: How to disable ido and icomplete in some path/directory?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to disable ido and icomplete in some path/directory?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 22:09:55 -0500

> For dired-do-find-file, I can enter edit mode by C-e,

Seems like you're using IDO rather than icomplete there, then
(icomplete doesn't have an "edit mode").

> In those local driver, it is fast for ido/icomplete to read the list of
> finames for completion and it is helpful.

The way icomplete is implemented it should (in theory) not block you
from typing further while building the completion list.  AFAICT, this
also applies to IDO.  So have you tried to "keep typing" when Emacs
seems to be waiting for the network to reply?  If so, does Emacs keep
waiting, or does it "immediately" process your key (and starts trying
to build the next list of completions)?
If it keeps you waiting, then it's a bug which I suggest you report with
`M-x report-emacs-bug`.

        Stefan