Re: [el-search] How to search string excluding docstring?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [el-search] How to search string excluding docstring?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2017 20:36:41 +0100

t wrote:

>>> Pattern match like pcase, I guess.
>>
>> Isn't that the same?
>
> No. Regexps are built to match regular
> languages. Pcase is built to match
> S-expressions, which are beyond regular.
> Well-nested parentheses are more than
> a regular language.

Regexps, you mean that is what they use to
implement pattern match in Erlang and SML?! Or
why did you bring it up?

I lost all my Erlang and SML (literally) but
I found some Haskell, the most neurotic of all
languages, which rely the most on pattern
matching virtually all the time - here is what
I mean:

    data Prop = DoNotCare | Pp Char
    instance Eq Prop where
      DoNotCare == DoNotCare = True
      Pp a      == Pp b      = a == b
      _         == _         = False
      a         /= b         = not (a == b)

Is this really what you mean? Surly that isn't
implemented as mere regexps?!

From: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/candelim/ce.hs

--
underground experts united