Re: info-find-source

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: info-find-source
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 03:54:06 +0100

Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> This is the point. Underneath, Info is
> *still* linear.

Of course, because otherwise it couldn't be put
into a single file where all the items appear
in order!

(Here "Info" means the data, or documentation,
not the browser or Emacs mode.)

> I can't see *any* gain from your function.

OK, the gain is it brings up the raw source
file associated with the info file you are
browsing. Or at least that is the purpose as
I haven't had time testing it a lot.
But because there exists a correlation between
the source file and what is displayed with the
info browser, the Holy Grail cannot be farther
away than the expected initial problems.

Actually, I cannot see "any gain" from
displaying the data as a tree! The only gain
I can see is hypertext. I see the point of
that, but I see that as something similar of,
you ask a person "how do you do X? what do you
need to do it?" and s/he says "Ask P about
that. Or go to the HW store and ask them" - if
you on the contrary know what data you desire,
and you know where it is, there is no need for
any form of hypertext, be it "On-Line" or on
the Internet. Instead of following links you go
directly to the Rainbow's End, acquire the
item, and return.

The drawbacks from using Info compared to text
are it's a mode from which you have much less
experience and thus much less fluency, and it
isn't always true that all your tweaks and
extensions fit seamlessly into info, while this
cannot be an issue for text, as that is the
original habitate anyway!

> And if I really wanted something like that,
> I'd probably use "no new keystrokes to learn"
> (using your own words!) and stick with plain
> old `C-x n w'.
>
> Please try it out and tell me how your
> solution is superior.

You don't have to do `M-x text-mode RET' after
you do `C-x n w'?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573