Re: emacs doesn't inherit PATH from environment

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't inherit PATH from environment
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:12:51 +0100

Larry Evans wrote:

> When executing a Makefile or invoking eshell,
> the PATH is not the same as when running from
> a terminal window. Even when I modify the
> PATH in the emacs initialization code in
> ~/emacs.d/init.common.el, the executables in
> the PATH are *not* found.

Where and how do you set PATH?

Shell stuff that I want available from Emacs
I have to set in a special file for zsh, which
is

    ~/.zshenv

If I put the same thing in plain .zshrc or
a file loaded from there, it doesn't work!

I never understood why because the Emacs
instance is run from a zsh shell, but for some
reason Emacs cannot see zsh stuff that aren't
defined in that special file, even when (as
said) executed from a point which HAS access to
it all!

My experience with this has only been
*functions*, not environmentals, but it is
worth a shot.

Also, you can use this to check the value prior
to starting the shell and Makefile compilation
session:

    (getenv "PATH")

Is it correct?

--