Re: emacs doesn't inherit PATH from environment

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't inherit PATH from environment
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 23:18:43 +0000

Larry Evans <cppljevans@suddenlink.net> writes:

> But why must I prepend the missing paths with that
> (setenv "PATH"...) in my ~/.emacs.d/init.common.el?
> After all, according to:
>
>    The value of environment variable “PATH” is used by emacs when you are
>    running a shell in emacs, similar to when you are using a shell in
>    a terminal.
>
> from here:
>
>    https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ExecPath
>
> that should be done automatically.
>
> I think the answer is that I usually invoke emacs
> from a pulldown menu in my window system, and I'm
> guessing that doesn't use my bash environmnent.
> However, when, in my ~/.profile, the PATH is exported,
> then *that* PATH shows up in emacs; so, I'm guessing
> the windowing system uses sh instead of bash and
> therefore the PATH is taken from sh instead of bash.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying here.

The point that Glenn Morris made is that the separator for path elements
is ":" on Unix-like systems.

It should be possible to fix $PATH anywhere.  It should if you change
the semi-colons to colons in the original definition or within Emacs.
Of course, if you only do it in Emacs then only tools called from Emacs
will see the change.

BR,
Robert Thorpe