Re: Test Alternative initialize scheme

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: Test Alternative initialize scheme
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 16:55:25 -0800

* Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> [180404 16:41]:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
>
> > I use an .emacs.d directory with init.el.
> > I'm contemplating making a permanent move for
> > this directory so that I can try out
> > alternative configurations such as spacemacs.
> > It might also reduce clutter at the top-level
> > of /home/$USER/ I can't tell from reading the
> > instructions for setting spacemacs that it
> > would be as easy to put the spacemacs
> > configuration in a different location.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Comments? Caveats? thanks
>
> Yes, it is almost always a bad idea to move
> something that already is in its right place.
> This applies to the computer as well as the
> physical world. If you've always had a handsaw
> on a hook on a wall, don't put it anywhere else
> just because you now have a chainsaw! Instead,
> find yet another "right place", only this time
> for - you guessed it - the chainsaw.

  I think you're right ... there's a lot of hard coded paths showing
  up in .elc and .pyc files under my .emacs.d

> To have "top-level clutter" in your home dir is
> nothing to be ashamed or bothered about. It the
> right place for init files of all kinds.
> You can configure ls in different ways to
> show/not show them, tho. And here we stumble
> upon rule number two - the interface. So even
> tho one is forbidden to change sound technology
> just because it doesn't "look" right, one is
> unrestricted to change the interface, or view,
> so that you don't want to see, isn't shown.
> Interestingly, if one does that long enough,
> when one temporarily disables the interface, to
> see everything you once didn't want to see, it
> doesn't look wrong anymore! It looks right.
> But you might still want to switch back to the
> interface as that looks even better :)
>
> But OK, you have two versions of Emacs. So have
> all config files in your home dir, separated,
> for each version. If they read the same init
> file, I'd recommend a branch (`if' clause) to
> find out what version in particular, version A,
> OK `load-file' these files, version B,
> `load-file' the other files. I.e., the common
> init file will just be a gateway and then
> you'll have everything separated.

  Emanuel, do you mind providing a simple example of such a logical
  branch?

  I'm not sure how one might combine spacemacs and emacs resources
  under one directory. The spacemacs install directions call for
  installing spacemacs directly into .emacs.d and I'm presuming that
  will totally clobber my existing config.

  I guess in the meantime I will find out.
  thanks
--
Tim Johnson