Re: Test Alternative initialize scheme

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Test Alternative initialize scheme
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 23:55:23 +0200

Nikolay Kudryavtsev wrote:

> Emacs distributions aka as kits are quite
> numerous. There's Spacemacs, which is the
> elephant in the room, then there's prelude
> and quite a few others. It's not much
> different from Linux distributions.
>
> The reason for their existence is that
> building a working config with bells and
> whistles may take quite a lot of time and
> effort, depending on required applications.
> And at some point there would be workflow
> disagreements. The two major areas are
> keyboard bindings(vanilla, vim, ergoemacs)
> and minibuffer completion(ivy, icicles,
> helm). Then there's package management,
> I think there's almost as many package
> managers for Emacs now, as there are for
> Unix. Init.el organization is another hotly
> contested area, with different ideas like
> storing it in org-mode and tangling.

OK, thanks for the info, but put it this way,
what is the one key problem that all of this is
trying to solve?

Are there groups of people who like similar
keyboard styles and instead of everyone setting
it up his/her way, which is similar to the next
guy/girl, one does this once and for all in
a "distribution" and then they all use that
particular distro?

Well, great, but how come this isn't just an .el
file like any other and you just load it from
your init file?

Because if so, aren't the 100+ Elisp files
I have a distribution as well? A distribution
of one?

Because if so (again), then yes, there should
be almost as many "distributions" as there are
Elisp hackers!

So in a way, yes, but this definition is
clearly not usable, really. So what is the
definition of an Emacs distro?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573