Re: Any way to control which articles Gnus summary shows by default?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Any way to control which articles Gnus summary shows by default?
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 16:17:49 +0200

> > Thanks for the hint. I was setting the cleaned values for the
> > subtables, but not then re-setting the tables themselves: they were
> > getting fixed, then thrown away. I can't believe how long this is
> > taking to get right... I'll post to gnus.general again once I'm
> > confident (ha) I've got it fixed.
>
> Or maybe no, that's not what was happening.

I'm not sure if that's not what is happening.

AFAIU `eieio-persistent-read' reads the whole thing (database) at once.
That function calls `eieio-persistent-convert-list-to-object' on the
read value, which loops `eieio-persistent-validate/fix-slot-value' over
the slot values.  The latter may only transform (quote SOMETHING) to
SOMETHING but doesn't look inside SOMETHING so the whole cleanup thing
isn't recursive.  But AFAIU the Gnus registry is recursive enough to be
problematic in this regard.

BTW, why does writing to a file involve adding quotes before a list at
all?  The reader doesn't need the lists been quoted, so why do we add
the quotes to the file just to remove them troublesomely after reading?

Michael.