Re: ESC vs Meta for shifted keys

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: ESC vs Meta for shifted keys
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 13:54:04 -0600

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> The ESC <-> Meta equivalence only holds for characters, not for
> >> "special keys" such as `left`, indeed.  Not sure why.
>
> > It seems to work for me.  Using C-h c to describe keys in both a
> > terminal and a graphical emacs shows:
> >
> >   ESC <left> (translated from ESC M-O D) runs the command backward-word
> >   <M-left> runs the command left-word
>
> In which sense does it work for you?  The above shows clearly that
> `M-left` and `ESC left` aren't treated identically.

It works for me because they perform the same result.  M-left and ESC
left both move the point left a word.  M-right and ESC right both move
the point right a word.  I also pointed out that they were bound to
different function but I think I adequately explained why they were
bound to slightly different functions.  That is in order to support
Shift Selection.  (A feature that I never use by the way...)

Bob