Re: Extending TOC Buffer Outlines

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Extending TOC Buffer Outlines
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 20:49:06 +0300

On 2018-04-27 15:00 +01, Daniel Nemenyi <daniel@pompo.co> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm writing a LaTeX document and using the \section{} titles to write
> inline abstracts of the text beneath them. The ever-handy emacs TOC
> buffer is great but it crops these down to 100 characters, which for
> most use cases is completely reasonable, but I'd like to see their whole
> text - and, yes, wrapped too if that's not too big a hassle!

Hi,

you may want to try Imenu which will add a menu to the menu bar that
lists parts of the documents and you can click to jump to them (see
(info "(emacs) Imenu")), and conveniently in TeX buffer it lists
\sections.  To add it, add this:

    (imenu-add-to-menubar "Sections")

to your TeX mode's hook.  By default it uses up to 60 chars from the
sections name, but you can set _imenu-max-item-length_ to something like
1000 so that it shows all of the section title.  It does _not_ wrap
though.  But on my ~15" laptop screen it can show sth. about 200
characters, so it might be good enough.  I don't know what command
brings up the mode you use, so I can't compare.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp       <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
                         024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC