Re: Face customisation ignored

From: Mick Bert
Subject: Re: Face customisation ignored
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 08:59:00 +0200

Il giorno mer 12 set 2018 alle ore 11:36 Javier
<invalid@invalid.invalid> ha scritto:

> Using emacs*reverseVideo might not be a good idea.
> Try setting background and foreground explicitly.
> For testing you can put the resources in the command line.
>
> emacs \
>     -xrm 'emacs*background:   #404040' \
>     -xrm 'emacs*foreground:   #0099FF'

Thanks for suggestion.
I eventualy obtain the desired behavior by specifying all the face
details (included background color) in the .emacs configuration file.

> Also, if you are using .Xresources you may want to try emacs compiled
> with the lucid toolkit instead of GTK.  Some of the .Xresources
> values do not work with GTK.  You should have a package
> emacs-lucid or emacs24-lucid in your distro.

I usually prefer the lucid version of emacs, but it's not in the
repository my company set up for the machine I use (it's a mirror
RHEL, containing just a sub-set of the packages). Even emacs itself
was just a special concession.

I am still curious to undersand why  the two ways of starting the
server behaves in different ways, but it's not critical.
I mean, always starting from a clean context (that is without any
running server),

  emacs

reades the resources, while

  emacsclient --create-frame --alternate-editor=emacs

does not

--
Mick