Gnus and local mirroring (was: Using R-mail in Emacs)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Gnus and local mirroring (was: Using R-mail in Emacs)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 08:27:59 -0400

> You could use the gnus agent to keep a local copy of your email and
> search that (or offlineimap, and probably others)

This is the aspect that I think needs work in Gnus: the "normal" way to
work with IMAP should be to keep a local mirror, but the gnus-agent only
keeps a partial mirror (hence not good enough for search, for example),
and offline-imap requires significant extra manual work (and was not
even really well supported by Gnus last time I tried, because if your
local mirror uses maildir, Gnus didn't store the whole metadata in the
Maildir but keeps some in its .newsrc.eld or something like that, so
other clients connecting to the IMAP search aren't told the whole
story).

        Stefan