RE: new help message in Emacs 25

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: new help message in Emacs 25
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 17:38:25 -0700 (PDT)

> Whenever I do M-x and type a command name and
> have it executed, it says, if, for example, the
> command is 'insert-date', that, you can also
> run it with
>
>     M-x i-da RET
>
> I like the similar message when there is a key
> assigned to the command, that makes sense to
> me, but this doesn't as it creates a third
> "name" or whatever for the command in my brain.
>
> I want it to be either explicit, or key, or
> explicit with a reminder of the key.
>
> This half-baked version is neither
> muscle memory/finger habits *nor*
> literal memory ('insert-date' I can read,
> write, and remember, but what is 'i-da'?)
>
> TEHO obviously, so my question is, how do
> I disable this hint w/o disabling the
> "key hint" version as well?

Good question.

Yes, option `extended-command-suggest-shorter' controls
this.

Why this wasn't rolled into option `suggest-key-bindings'
(e.g. as another possible setting) I don't know.

Emacs didn't used to provide the `M-x some-abbreviation'
information.  That was added a release or two ago.  The
behavior was what you get if you customize option
`extended-command-suggest-shorter' to nil.