Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: collaborative editing in emacs on macos
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 14:47:58 +1000

On Wed, Apr 17 2019, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
There is one. MIT license since octobre 2018:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SubEthaEditProtocol

To me this is *waaaaaaay* too complicated. I don't know how I'd pronounce SubEthaEdit (and needed to double-check how to spell it) so it'd be a rocky start to asking someone to collaborate with it.

I think collaboration needs to be as easy as: "Let's just collaborate over email."

So "Let's just collaborate over IRC" seems like a low enough barrier to entry, and from my noobish mind, sending short diffs via IRC seems pretty tenable... the a/b file header stuff could be omitted, since there would be only a single collaboration file, and this value would be stored in a variable. Ideally this would occur within an IRC CTCP so you could chat while also seeing the diffs fly back and forth in real time (with some sort of prefix so the client program could read & apply them).

Pie is sky of course...

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com