Re: Changing site-lisp without installing it

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Changing site-lisp without installing it
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 02:25:41 +0200

Spencer Baugh wrote:

> I want to start using site-lisp at my site.

site = multi-user computer system, settings in site-lisp will
be shared across users.

> What would be ideal for me is this:
>
> - There is a normal, installed Emacs, with a site-lisp
>   directory. My users run this and get the installed
>   site-lisp directory. All normal.
>
> - I run this same Emacs binary in some way, I don't know
>   how, to make it use a replacement site-lisp directory,
>   instead of the installed one, so that I can hack on the
>   site-lisp, without having to build a new Emacs or change
>   the actual installed site-lisp directory.
>
> Now that I say all this, I guess the obvious thing to do is simply pass
>
> --no-site-lisp --directory my/local/changed/site-lisp
>
> and then hack away.
>
> But will that behave correctly?  Are there any footguns there?

Many, instead just add a file to the original path with
whatever settings you wish to enforce across the realm ...

> (Does anyone actually use site-lisp? It seems a little
> under-explored [...]

Collective settings, I don't think that idea is so useful.
Whose .emacs are we gonna base it on, the "site" boss?

Maybe one can share other stuff that makes more sense ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal