Re: Question on updating to 29.1

From: PierGianLuca
Subject: Re: Question on updating to 29.1
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 08:08:59 +0200

Hi Eli,

The Emacs installation method is designed in a way that allows you to
have several Emacs versions installed on the same system.  Only one of
them, the one you installed the last, is invoked by the name "emacs",
but all the others can be invoked by their numbered names, as in
"emacs-28.2" etc.  An installed version of Emacs will only be removed
if you explicitly run "make uninstall" in the build directory of that
version.

Thank you, this is very useful information. Wouldn't this be useful in the
INSTALL files? or maybe it's already there. I might want to keep one previous
version just in case, but no other.

Should I do "make uninstall" for the previous version after I install the new
version, or before, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks everyone for your help!
Luca