Re: Emacs 29 slow subprocess output when using pipe for connection

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 29 slow subprocess output when using pipe for connection
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 11:35:49 +0300

> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 23:39:23 -0400
> From: Chris Hanson <cph@chris-hanson.org>
>
> On Emacs 29, I've noticed when using the MIT/GNU Scheme interaction mode
> (xscheme.el) the output is extremely slow; it was fine in Emacs 28.

Please define "extremely slow" in more quantitative terms.  E.g., can
you show a comparative benchmark between these two versions of Emacs,
so that the relative times could be assessed?

Off the top of my head, I don't think we've changed anything
significant in how subprocess output is handled, but maybe I'm
misremembering, or there's a subtle bug.

> Why is the pipe connection so slow?  Has no one noticed this because
> the default is to use ptys?

On MS-Windows, only pipes are available, so it's unlikely that any
significant slowdown could go completely unnoticed.  Unless the reason
for slow-down doesn't affect the MS-Windows build of Emacs.