Re: Skipping installation of .el.gz files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Skipping installation of .el.gz files
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 15:35:56 +0300

> From: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com>
> Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:25:56 -0400
>
> > No, because the source directory could hold code different from the
> > one which was used to install the files under /usr/share.  Think about
> > Emacs installed from a Git repository that got many updates after
> > that, for example.
>
> Yes.  And this is an issue today for jumping to the definitions of
> functions in C files, since those are not packaged with Emacs.  Today,
> that is broken out of the box if source-directory is still around.

"Broken" is an exaggeration.  C source files are less important that
Lisp sources, and in many cases the C sources are not installed at all
on the user's machine.  I see no problem here.

> So if you think this behavior is bad

I didn't say it was bad, I said your suggestion for a change was not a
good idea, since it would introduce a problem where currently there is
none.

> then should we fix it to not happen for the case of C files?
> Perhaps by clearing source-directory when Emacs is installed, so
> that Emacs cannot find obsolete C files out of the Git repository?

This problem doesn't exist for most users, so I see no reason to fix
something that isn't broken.