Re: The Menu is slow, how to find out why?

From: Peter
Subject: Re: The Menu is slow, how to find out why?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 22:23:10 +0200

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 04:54:57PM -0400, tpeplt wrote:
! Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org> writes:
!
! > Hi folks,
! >
! >   I have a strange problem: the menu takes 1-2 seconds to open.
! >
! > I have read that one shouldn't use the menu, and I might agree,
! > but: my personal keybindungs have come a long way, and they are
!
! 1. One source of slow-down with Emacs is the toolbar and tool-tips.
! If you have these turned on, then turning them off might resolve
! your problem.  (These are likely caused by slowness of the windowing
! system.)

Thank You, these are good advice. But in this case the slowdown
happens BEFORE the communication with X11 even starts.

And in the end the solution was simple: I just needed to remove
a line from keyboard.c that on my machine causes a pathologic loop.

! 2. A better rule than "Don’t use the menu" is "Use the menu when you
! are using a mode that you don’t use often or don’t use for long".
! In those cases, you won’t have learned the mode-specific keybindings
! and commands.

That makes sense. When doing some continuous work during the last
days, I found myself using only the Buffers menu. But that one
is indeed useful: why should I bother myself with remembering the
names of files I work on? Or why should I bother with an extra
window for the buffer list when one is already present in the menu?

Now I finally achieved something I probably should have tackled
30 years ago, and switched all systems-management to emacs. Lets
see how it works. Currently it looks good, it can even display
proper Devanagari when run via X11 (which firefox can't).
Obviousely I can't read that, but it looks nice. ;)

! 3. If you do not use the toolbar or tool-tips, then to troubleshoot
! your problem, try to reproduce is by starting Emacs without any
! configuration customization (start with "emacs -Q") and see if the

That was the first I did - I simply deleted the files to make sure.
"emacs -Q" would also have worked? Cool, that will make things
easier in the future. :)

! problem persists.  If it does not persist, then start adding
! pieces of your customizations to the initialization file to see
! if you can isolate the source of the problem, which you can then
! ask about here on this mailing list.

Yepp.