Re: functions for parsing mail addresses

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: functions for parsing mail addresses
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 04:42:30 +0200

Roland Winkler wrote:

> I am looking at functions in the Emacs code base for parsing
> mail addresses, trying to figure out their differences.
> But this appears to be somewhat messy.
>
> The docstring of the user variable
> `gnus-extract-address-components' says that two pre-defined
> function exist: ‘gnus-extract-address-components’, which is
> the default, quite fast, and too simplistic solution, and
> ‘mail-extract-address-components’, which works much better,
> but is slower. But it seems to me that calls of the function
> `gnus-extract-address-components' are as often hard-coded as
> the user variable `gnus-extract-address-components' is used.

I have something like that:

(defun citation-style-f ()
  (let*((from (mail-header-from message-reply-headers))
        (from-data (gnus-extract-address-components from))
        (name (or (car from-data)
                  ;; if the user hasn't set his name, use the
                  ;; mail username e.g. joe for joe@hacker.com
                  (car (split-string (cadr from-data) "@"))))
        (citation-string (format "%s wrote:\n\n" name)) )
    (insert citation-string) ))

Whole file:
  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/gnus/gnus-cite-incal.el

--