Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every t

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:09:17 -0600

Evan Aad wrote:
> LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead.
>
> It's not a big deal, but it's annoying, and I'd like this message not
> to appear every time I open emacs.
>
> Would you please help me diagnose, and resolve this issue?

By this message it appears to me that en_IL.UTF-8 is not installed and
is therefore not available as a locale to be selected.  The main
utility to query the system about the currently configured locale is
the "locale" command.  What does it say?

    locale

For example I definitely do not have that locale installed and I see
this example output.  This is an example of not having the locale
available and therefore things fall back to the C locale.

    rwp@madness:~$ env LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 locale
    LANG=en_IL.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="C"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_TIME="C"
    LC_NUMERIC="C"
    LC_MONETARY="C"
    LC_MESSAGES=C
    LC_ALL=

Just to show an example this is what I will normally see with my
customized settings.

    rwp@madness:~$ locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES=C
    LC_ALL=

I find Perl to be most useful to diagnose locale issues too.  Here is
an example.  If the specified locale exists then the command is silent.

    rwp@madness:~$ env LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 perl -e 0
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
            LC_ALL = (unset),
            LC_MESSAGES = "C",
            LC_COLLATE = "C",
            LANG = "en_IL.UTF-8"

As far as I know installed locales available are names installed into
/usr/share/local/ and listed there.

    ls /usr/share/locale/

If you don't see en_IL.UTF-8 there then that is definitely what is
happening.  I don't have en_IL.UTF-8 available on any of my systems.
I don't know anything about Mac OS X and have no idea how locales are
installed and managed there.

Hope this helps!
Bob