Re: New line and trailing whitespaces

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: New line and trailing whitespaces
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:22:43 +0200

Hi Eli:

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 23:05:57 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi Eli:

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 08:23:45AM GMT, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 03:12:37 +0200
>> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> A somehow unrelate question.. I don't find a face to change the tab-mark
>> color in whitespace mode... Is it documented somewhere?
>
>Isn't that whitespace-tab?

Actually no.

That face seems apply only to the tab whitespace when whitespace-style
has `tabs`, but not to when `tab-mark` applies.

You lost me here.  But if all you want is to know what face is used on
some text, simply use "M-x describe-text-properties RET" with point on
that text.

Whitespace mode "shows" the tabs in two (independent) ways:

1. "Colorizing" the tab whitespace with some color (face tabs)
2. Add a mark in the whitespace space like | or � (tab-mark)

The whitespace-tab face applies only to 1, but I don't find how to make
it apply to 2

Define the whitespace-tab face foreground and background
(setq-default whitespace-style '(faces tab-mark))
(whitespace-mode 1)
TAB

I see: the �, but it is always white, independently of whitespace-tab face.