Re: Emacs-desktop insists on having 13-pixel scrollbars at startup

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-desktop insists on having 13-pixel scrollbars at startup
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 09:55:19 +0300

> Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 22:13:07 +0200
> From: PierGianLuca <luca@magnaspesmeretrix.org>
> Cc: Rahguzar <rahguzar@zohomail.eu>
>
> Thank you. The problem is that the desktop is *not* using the recorded value
> of 'scroll-bar-width' (which is one frame parameter) from the session exited
> previously. Instead, it replaces it with 13 pixels, no matter what it was in
> the previous session.
>
> In other words:
>
> 1. Suppose I have one frame that has width 90 (characters), height 14, and
> scroll-bar-width 30 pixels.
>
> 2. Now I close the Emacs session and the desktop is saved automatically.
>
> 3. I restart Emacs; desktop should restore the previous configuration:
>
> – I expect: width 90, height 14, scroll-bar-width 30
>
> – Instead I get: width 90, height 14, scroll-bar-width 13
>
> This is why I see this as a bug.

I cannot reproduce this in Emacs 30: with the above recipe I get the
same scroll-bar-width as the value I set before quitting the session.
So please verify that Emacs restores the desktop from the correct file
(it could be modified via desktop-path), and if it does, then perhaps
this is specific to your Emacs configuration and/or the toolkit you
are using, or perhaps to some of your customizations.  I've reviewed
the code in frameset.el, and I don't see there anything that would
explain why scroll-bar-width frame-parameter would not be applied when
restoring the desktop.