help-gnu-radius

[Help-gnu-radius] Problems running gnu-radius

From: Olaf Seidel
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] Problems running gnu-radius
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:30:40 +0100

Hello,

great radius, highly configurable and SQL-Support. For me GNU-Radius would be
the perfect solution. But yesterday evening, I tested the radius under load,
and there were great problems (I hope because of my lack of knowledge about
this radius), leading to switching back to the old radiusd. Firstly,
gnu-radius worked as expected. But after a few logins (around 30) the dial in
wasn't possible anymore. After running a while nevertheless, it seemed, that
the dial in was possible sometimes (and then for some dial in attempts in a
row) and sometimes not.

I configured radius to let everybody in with every password. There was one
DEFAULT entry in the users file. In this entry, there were some necessary
static attributes, an additional attribute (Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool) was taken
from the attribute table (MySQL). No hints, no huntgroups. The config file
was the original one (I fiddled arround with some parameters as the problems
arose but I didn't find a solution). The sqlserver file was configured as
follows: keepopen no, doauth yes (for getting the IP-Pool-Attribute), doacct
yes. I tried also with keepopen yes and different values for
auth-max-connections and acct-max-connections.

A special note: top showed 99% idle in this test. But sometimes the radius
started very slowly. Every time I changed something in the configuration, I
tested it with radiusd -mc before starting.

An additional question: As I understood, I don't have to set the
Simultaneous-Use attribute, if I don't want to restrict simultaneous use. Is
this true? Nevertheless, as I tested the attribute Simultaneous-Use = 100 in
the users file, radiusd -mc returned an error message.

The System is:
Pentium III 933
2x 40GB HDD (IBM IC), Software Raid Level 1
RedHat 7.1
MySQL-3.23.47 (Binary Installation)
configured for 100 connections (max used in this test: 8)

ISDN-Router: Max 3000 (right dictionnary included)

Users-File:
DEFAULT Auth-Type = Accept
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
        Framed-Routing = None,
        Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.255,
        Ascend-Route-IP = Route-IP-Yes,
        Ascend-Link-Compression = Link-Comp-Stac,
        Framed-Compression=Van-Jacobsen-TCP-IP,
        Framed-MTU = 1500,
        Ascend-Idle-Limit = 14400

For any help I thank you in advance.