help-gnu-radius

Re: [Help-gnu-radius] radius.log errors

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] radius.log errors
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 23:17:12 +0300

>  - What is the wtmp thing for and do I need it or how can I shut it off?

Radwtmp is a file where radiusd stores information about users'
sessions. See the doucmentation, node `Accounting -> UNIX Accounting'.
The message:

> Jun 06 13:53:18: Acct.notice: NOT writing wtmp record (1) for `',NAS
> nas.bwsys.net,port 20307

means that nas.bwsys.net sends accounting records with empty
username. Similarly, the message

> Jun 06 13:53:16: Acct.warning: SQL unknown (355690040) 0 rows changed

is due to the same reason. This usually means a serious problem, since
absense of the username in an accounting record actually makes the
accounting useless.

>  - How can I make the nas name appear as the reverse DNS entry instead of a
> name I have to type in
> naslist?  We have a lot of boxes and they are allready accurate in my DNS
> it's just double entry to

Put the following in your raddb/naslist:

DEFAULT default   true

(see node `Configuration Files ->naslist file' for a detailed
description). This will shut off the error messages.

>  - can't allocate port_stat: increase STAT_MAX_PORT_COUNT and recompile
> ....what do I do abou this
> because there is no configure --XXXX option for this.

Reconfigure the package as follows:

          CFLAGS='-DSTAT_MAX_PORT_COUNT=4096' ./configure [OTHER-OPTIONS]

4096 is arbitrary, replace it with the value that suits your
needs. A good estimate for this value is

       number_of_nases * average_number_of_ports_per_nas

> I am assuming any other errors below are from the above problems.

Not quite so. Pay attention to

> Jun 06 13:53:16: Acct.warning: SQL unknown (355690040) 0 rows changed

messages. They mean that when a user session was terminated, no rows
were updated in the accounting table since the accounting request did
not contain the username.

Regards,
Sergey