help-gnu-radius

[Help-gnu-radius] Migration from cistron-radiusd

From: Joshua Daniel Franklin
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] Migration from cistron-radiusd
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:36:12 -0500 (CDT)

Hi!

We are considering moving from cistron-radiusd to GNU radius.
The cistron server is very simple (and old). All authentication is
done through the flat passwd/shadow files plus various configuration
files in /etc/raddb. Logs are flat files. We mainly would like better
accounting. Right now we import the flat files into a home-grown and
very inefficient postgreSQL database.

There are two issues I know we will face. Our main accounting server
can easily run an SQL database, but our backup server has rather meager
resources.
Does anyone know how GNU radius compares to cistron-radiusd as far as
system resources go?
Would it be a probelm to continue running ciston on just the backup?

Second, we have NAS that has a lot of duplicate entries in the cistron
logs. I don't really know if it's the NAS's RADIUS implementation (it's an
Ascend MAX) or ciston-radiusd, but has anyone seen this sort of thing
with GNU radius? If so, how does the SQL accounting deal with it?

Thanks for your time.
--
Joshua Daniel Franklin
Network Administrator